![]() |
| Steve Doll and I in 1991? |
I first saw Steve Doll wrestle on WCCW(World Class Championship Wrestling) when I was 10, in 1986. I was home sick from school, and we had just gotten cable that morning. It was a magical day. There were cartoons on after Rambilin' Rod! This cable was an amazing new universe. Having been a wrestling fan for a few years already, but not really having any idea about anything besides Portland Wrestling, and maybe some WWF, I was intrigued by the NWA and WCCW.
I was super excited to see my old favorite Steve Simpson. He had left Portland in 1985, and I figured he would be on WWF the next week, but no luck. He was tagging with this blond guy with zebra-striped tights and a huge grin. He just looked happy to be there. He was high energy and high-flying. I liked him instantly. I set my VCR to record WCCW each week so that I could see him lose to one guy after another. I could tell he was improving, and he even won a few matches in early 1987.
Unfortunately, he disappeared from WCCW TV. I was so disappointed when I hadn't seen him in a few weeks.
For my 11th birthday, we had planned a trip to the Sports Arena. June 13, 1987, was the closest Kids Free Night to my birthday.
After my mom paid Mark Owen her $6, and got tickets for 11 kids, I went right to the photo stand and bought a Lucky Number program for $1. On the inside, it said, "We Welcome Newcomer Steve Doll!" WOW!!!!! I was so excited. My favorite wrestler, here for real!
I got a picture I had purchased signed. In the photo, he was wearing the first zebra tights I had ever seen him in. He gave me a wink and a hug, and I fell deep into 11-year-old puppy love!
After this night, I was at the Sports Arena EVERY week. I babysat during the week so that I could afford both my mom's and my ticket plus gas to go. I rarely missed a night at the Sports Arena until it closed in 1993.
![]() |
| Steve Doll autographed photo from a 1988 autograph session. |
In the following years, my friends had New Kids on the Block or Kirk Cameron on their walls at home. I had Steve Doll! Every photo he sold, I bought. And I worked some LONG babysitting hours to afford it!
Steve was always sweet to me, even though I probably bugged the SH*T out of him. I waited after the arena, walked by his house; he lived in my neighborhood, hounded him for autographs and photos every week at the arena.
Thank you, Steve, for making a tough childhood better, for giving me something to look forward to every week, for always being willing to give me a warm hug, for tolerating me for all of those years. I miss you.
Steve Doll's Obituary in The Tennessean
Good Article about Steve Doll's Career


No comments:
Post a Comment