Dec 22, 2015

Billy Jack Haynes

Photo of Billy Jack Haynes from the back of a WWF program.
Possibly 1987.

Honestly haven't been a big Billy Jack fan for a very long time.  When he started his Oregon City promotion in 1988, OWF, we went every Saturday night and to several of the other shows as well.  Some nights we were some of the few people there.  He brought in good talent and the guys, and matches were very entertaining.  I just never understand why he had to go against Don Owen.  Why not run on Friday Night, in Oregon City,  instead?  I feel like he would have had a large portion of the Sports Arena fans there.

 He finally did return to PNW, after OWF closed, and make his heal turn.  We were allowed to stay in the Sports Arena after the people were all ushered out, and the wrestlers walked by headed to the office to settle up for the night, or whatever they did in the office.  Fans were gone, it was just staff at that point.   One night, maybe a week or two after the heal turn, Billy Jack walks by us (my mom, myself and a friend).  He stops and starts yelling at us about how we aren't his real fans because we never supported him in Oregon City.  He then starts to talk about how, "You obviously never went to my gym did you, Big Momma."  Puffing out his cheeks and putting out his hands to indicate that my mom was fat.  At this point I get pissed off and start yelling at him, I am a 13 year old kid at the time, but you don't mess with my mom!  I tell him that we went to his shows every Saturday night and we would have gone to his gym but we were already under contract with another gym.  And we'd still be going to his shows if he wasn't a failure.  I guess that touched a nerve because he just looked down and walked away without saying anything else.

After that, if he walked by us he'd always say, "Have a good night ladies." or something polite, to that effect.  But for me the damage was done. He may have been just trying to stay in character, but there was no point as we were the only fans still there and obviously with some members of the staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment