Jul 26, 2018

Rex King (Timothy Smith) September 8, 1961 – January 9, 2017 ~ Rest In Peace

     I'm not sure where I've been, but I didn't hear that Rex King had died.  Rex came to wrestle in the Northwest in late 1988 or early 1989.  He wasn't super popular to start off with, but a good wrestler.  Once it was announced that Scott Peterson would be leaving the Southern Rockers, Rex King was named as his replacement.  I wasn't too impressed.  Mostly, because I was 13, loved Scott Peterson, and wanted things to remain the same.  Even though Steve and Rex were a great team and VERY popular, I remained salty about the whole thing.  I later watched a bunch of matches with Steve and Rex together and realized that they really were a great team.  Rex, like most of the wrestlers, was always super nice to me.  Thanks for your years of hard work and dedication to your audience Rex.
     After Rex died, his mother started a Go Fund Me to pay for his funeral expenses.  The original amount was $2,500.  Apparently he had been in a bad way for years after several neck and head injuries.  Chris Jericho came forward and paid the entire amount.  He said that Rex had been good to him, early in his career, and he wanted to help out.  The amount has since been bumped up to $15,000 and the account is still active.  If you want to contribute visit the Go Fund Me page.





No comments:

Post a Comment