Mar 25, 2012

RIP Steve Doll December 9, 1960-March 22, 2009

Steve Doll and I in 1991?


     I first saw Steve Doll wrestle on WCCW(World Class Championship Wrestling) when I was 10, 1986.  I was home sick from school and we had just gotten cable that morning.  It was a magical day.  There were cartoons on after Rambilin' Rod!  This cable was an amazing new universe.  Having been a wrestling fan for a few years already, but not really having any idea about anything besides Portland Wrestling, and maybe some WWF, I was intrigued by the NWA and WCCW. 
     I was super excited to see my old favorite Steve Simpson.  He had left Portland in 1985 and I figured he would be on WWF the next week, but no luck.  He was tagging with this blond guy with zebra striped tights and a huge grin.  He just looked happy to be there.  He was high energy, and high flying.  I liked him instantly.  I set my VCR to record WCCW each week so that I could see him lose to one guy after another.  I could tell he was improving and he even won a few matches in early 1987. 
    Unfortunately, he disappeared from WCCW tv.  I was so disappointed when I hadn't seen him in a few weeks.
    For my 11th birthday we had planned a trip to the Sports Arena, June 17, 1987,  was the closest Kids Free Night to my birthday. 
     After my mom paid Mark Owen her $6, and got tickets for 11 kids, I went right to the photo stand and bought a Lucky Number program for $1.  On the inside it said, "We Welcome Newcomer Steve Doll!"  WOW!!!!!  I was so excited.  My favorite wrestler, here for real!
   I waited outside the arena to get a picture I had purchased signed.  In the photo he was wearing the first zebra tights I had ever seen him in.  He gave me a wink and a hug, and fell deep into 11 year old puppy love! 
     After this night I was at the Sports Arena EVERY week.  I babysat during the week so that I could afford both my mom's and my ticket plus gas to go.  I rarely missed a night at the Sports Arena until it closed in 1992.

Steve Doll autographed photo from 1988 autograph session.

     In the following years, my friends had New Kids on the Block or Kirk Cameron on their walls at home.  I had Steve Doll!  Every photo he sold, I bought. And I worked some LONG babysitting hours to afford  it!
     Steve was always sweet to me, even though I probably bugged the SH*T out of him.  I waited after the arena, walked by his house, he lived in my neighborhood, hounded him for autographs and photos every week.
    Thank you Steve for making my very hard childhood better, for giving me something to look forward to every week, for always being willing to give me a warm hug, for tolerating me for all of those years.  I miss you.

Steve Doll's Obituary in The Tennessean

Good Article about Steve Doll's Career

No comments:

Post a Comment