Mar 25, 2012

Old School Reunion


     I must admit that I stopped keeping up with local wrestling some time ago.  As long as 7 or 8 years maybe.  Once in a while I catch some matches on cable access.  Mostly, completely new faces.  I don't know the back stories.  To be honest, it really is the story and the drama that has always been my favorite part of wrestling.  When a couple of guys can suck you in with great interviews before the match even starts.  Of course, they need to bring that drama into the ring with them, and great wrestling doesn't hurt either.   But the drama has to be there and I find it hard to get into when I don't know the stories.  Who is the good guy? Who spit on a defenseless old lady in the front row?  Who always cheats and deserves his comeuppance? 
     But, the other day, when I tuned into DOA Wrestling, www.DOAprowrestling.com I was sucked in immediately.  It was an older episode, I heard a few mentions of October.  The first thing I saw was The Grappler.  I would know that mask and gravely voice anywhere.  And he wasn't just talking about facing Mr. Sorry I Don't Know Your Name Because I Don't Watch Wrestling Anymore, he was talking about RAVEN, better known in these parts as SCOTTY THE BODY!  Not only was the Grappler going to wrestle Scotty, but it was going to happen in Portland, with Matt Borne as the Referee. 
     I was excited to see that the match was on this episode and not only were those three there.  Also in attendance was Mean Mike Miller on the color commentary team, and CW Bergstrom was in the audience.
     Even though it wasn't quite the same as the old days, it was fun to see.  I would have been cool to see Steve Doll and Scott Peterson come rushing out when The Grappler started to load his boot.  And Brian Adams followed  with some milk and cereal for a good old Breakfast Club recreation.  At the end of match Betelgeuse could dance around the ring with his little Guesers, who all happen to be in their 30's now. 
     Maybe this is why I don't watch wrestling anymore.  It just makes me sad for all of the guys that we have lost along the way.  I hope there is a Portland Sports Arena in Heaven!

www.DOAprowrestling.com has an event coming up on April 11 in Keizer, OR.

From their website:

You can see DOA Main Event Wrestling each week on these fine stations, or on our YouTube page at http://YouTube.DOAProWrestling.com!
Portland, ORChannels 11 and 22Mondays at 11 PM and Wednesdays at 9:30 PM
Eugene, ORChannel 29Tuesdays at 9 PM and Saturdays at 9 AM
Salem, ORChannel 22Fridays at 10 PM and Saturdays at 8 AM
Newberg, ORChannel 11Tuesdays at 9 PM and Thursdays at 8 PM
Vancouver, WAChannel 11Mondays at 4 PM
Thursdays at 8 AM
Fridays at 4 PM
West Linn, ORChannel 23Thursdays at 12:30 AM and Fridays at 11:30 PM
(Also includes Oregon City, Milwaukie and Boring, OR)
Corvallis, ORChannel 29Tuesdays at 9 PM
Humboldt, CA

Channel 12
Thursdays at 11 PM and Saturdays at 11:30 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment